Saturday, February 5, 2011

Venice’s Grand Daughter


If you search
My heart or
My mind’s labyrinth
Nothing but
A mirage could be found

Me , who am I ?
Venice’s grand daughter I am
Came to this world
For in men’s hearts
The suffering to plant

My smile is wine
My touch is a healing and a remorse
With cups of false promises
The worried I arose
And to them
With drums I sing
Lullabies of loves and feelings to long

To this world , yesterday I came

The world , so torn apart I found
Debris here and there
The word of war and gun
Is the only language found
Over innocent hearts it sounds

Me , who am I ?
Venice’s grand daughter I am
To the humans
Idols i draw
For them to worship
For a lifetime to veneer and extol

I cob stories of love
Studded with kisses
And bodies' unison
Youth flowers I provide
And I stomp on roses of
These stubborn times

Gaze all you can
But find me you won't
Alas in your hearts

I am the goddess of beauty
On the whole earth
My perfume I spill
And then lonely hearts
No more could be found
Recant
Recant to me
And my smiles in cups of love
You will see
-----
Kacem El Ghazzali

Translated from Arabic by Chafiq Halli